So tell me, what is it you plan to do?

Last summer I made a real conscious effort to live with adventure and really get out of my comfort zone. Growing up, Alex was always more adventurous than I was. I liked to play it safe, and I enjoyed my comfort zone. I liked schedules and organized plans. Alex liked to live life miles from her comfort zone, embracing spontaneity each day. So, in one of my efforts to really channel her, I dared to be adventurous. And I must say, I had an incredible summer. I've really made an effort to live each day in honor of Alex. Living each day with intention and a purpose. In a sense this is a follow up to this post from last July. Because one thing I think I try to drill into everyone I talk to, is that this life is so precious. 

So tell me, what is it you're going to do to make the most out of this life? I don't think I truly started living until Alex passed away. Sure, I did some exciting stuff and lived an interesting life for 18 years. But honestly, I don't think I genuinely enjoyed the mundane of each day until three summers ago. When my sister was 21, she thought she had a lifetime ahead of her. A lifetime to tell people how much she cared about them, a lifetime to find something she was passionate about, and a lifetime to do everything she ever wanted to do. But then, all of that changed in an instant. 

So now I'm the sister that's 21. And I know all too much, that we don't necessarily have a lifetime ahead of us. Your lifetime may just be a few more weeks. I'm living each day with the deep hopes that my life will extend decades and decades beyond today. But I also will never forget, that life can change in an instant, and no days are guaranteed for you or I. I could walk through each day going through the motions, or I could live a little bit more. 


So tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life? I hope you ponder this question. And I hope you really resonate on it. Are you going to wake up tomorrow and go to to your job and eat dinner and go to bed. Going through the motions. Or, are you going to do something more? If you don't like your job, find a new job. If you hate your major, switch. If you want to reconnect with a friend, reach out now.  Get outside. Breathe in the fresh air. Read some books. Spend time with your family and friends. Have meaningful conversation. Do the stuff you always said you wanted to do. Tell those you care about how much they mean to you. Be bold. Because what do you have to lose? 

When Alex passed away, I had some peace with the fact that I had told her in recent days that I loved her. I had peace that in recent months we spent time together just laughing and talking. We spent time in each other's presence. But, I still look back and wish I would have said it more. I wish I would have been with her more. I wish I would have told her how much I admired her strength and intelligence. How she was such a role model to me in different ways and how she taught me more than she knew. There is no such thing as too late in this life. If someone is still living and breathing, you have time. Trust me, even if you just have 10 minutes, you have time. 

So, once again I say, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life? I hope it's something big. I hope it's something adventurous, and extraordinary. You have the power to live a big and bold life. Embrace each day and the life you've been given. The fact that you woke up today is an extraordinary gift that I rarely recognized for 18 years of my life. But today, I wake up and realize that it is a beautiful day because I have the ability to stand up and walk outside to admire the beauty all around me. I have the ability to take in nature and the simple beauty all around me. It is a beautiful day because I can tell those in my life just how much they mean to me. And it is a beautiful day because I can continue to make the most of this wild, and precious life.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Stop Saying I'm Busy

Put it Down

3 Years + Holidays